Happy New Year's Eve, CPCU Friends!
As I look forward to 2018, I am excited by the healthy development of our Sacramento Valley CPCU Society Chapter. Our strong condition is evidenced by you: the long-standing members with consistent engagement, the new CPCUs becoming part of the chapter, and the board members who commit to serve. Before the clock strikes midnight and the leadership mantel moves to incoming (and very capable) president Caron Paixao, I wanted to share a few of my favorite memories of 2017:
- January - President's Panel. The camaraderie this team demonstrated! They proved the power of volunteering with commitment and purpose. They also shared great tips on networking and career development. The panel discussion was led by Ulises Castellon with past presidents Rich Pratt, Kathy Campbell, John Valentine, Peter Sellman, Michele Reager and Denise Brown.
- February - Risk Management. Paul Samson brought several "toys" for his discussion: an infrared camera, a drone, and a huggable puppy with a personal lesson in germ (powder) transfer.
- March - Flood & Ethics. After the rains that addressed California's prior waterfall shortage and tested Orville's emergency spillway, Michael Brown delivered an informative CE class on flood and led us in an ethics activity.
- April - Three of our leaders (Denise Brown, Caron Paixao and I) participated in the Leadership Summit in Baltimore, Maryland. Great Society connections, informative topics, chapter management ideas, and fun exploring!
- May – The Society hosted a Western Regional Meeting. An amazing opportunity to engage with The Society leadership, regional leaders and members.
- Also in May, our All Industry Day! This year, the topic was Cyber. After the technical discussion, we had a great networking hour!
- June – Regulatory Update with Diane Bauer. Always a hit for her engaging delivery and on-point topics, Diane delivered again. One comment she shared was about a potential focus on wildfire insurance availability, and we are beginning to see this now.
- July – Board Dinner. A great time to connect with the team and work on succession planning.
- September – a hurricane cancelled plans for the Annual Meeting, and we continued to see the need for, and benefit of, our noble profession.
- October – Elaine Chubb conferred the designation on our new CPCUs, swore in our 2018 officers & directors, and planted seeds for a trip to London in 2018.
- November – our chapter embraced a group discussion on Diversity & Inclusion. We began with an Insider/Outsider group activity, moved into group discussion and then honored each other by sharing our stories in smaller groups.
- December – annual IPS / CPCU holiday dinner and ornament exchange fun!
This year, through catastrophes and typical events, we saw significant need for the benefits that insurance delivers. Engaged professionals who are continuing their own development, bringing others along, and working with the highest of ethics is what will enable our industry to continue to deliver on our promises in the years to come. Thank you for your commitment.
Lisa W. Bracero (and about to be Past President)